web analytics
best live chat

How To Protect Your Keepsakes In The Basement

How To Protect Your Keepsakes In The BasementEverybody likes to store their keepsakes in the basement; those nostalgic items that aren’t of modern use but hit you with all sorts of memories. A lot of people keep vinyl records in the basement or old pictures. Unfortunately, these incredibly valuable keepsakes are the most susceptible to mold and bacteria, which is a common problem in a mildew ridden basement. Mold and bacteria can get inside of materials and eat them from the inside. The keepsake becomes compromised and is not a keepsake anymore.

The main culprit causing this memory-destroying malady is water. Mold and bacteria need water to thrive, like most living things. If you remove the water then you starve the mold and bacteria. You also save your keepsakes from an early demise.

The easiest way to remove the water from your basement is to use a dehumidifier. Run this machine when it is especially humid, in the springtime or after a storm. You should notice a considerable decrease in the humidity of the basement. If the humidity is still high, the basement still smells like mildew and your keepsakes keep disintegrating, then it may be a bigger problem. Water may be pouring into your home.

Cracks in the basement walls can actually have the moisture from the ground seep through. This can happen at any time of the year, because the freeze only penetrates the ground so far. This means water is flowing even in the winter. Small droplets of water get in through the walls and fill the air with moisture. These cracks can be sealed with epoxy, but it is probably a temporary solution. The ground will keep pressuring the walls of the basement into cracking. If this is the case, then it may be a good idea to call a professional that deals with flooded basements. They can seal the basement and save your memories.

This entry was posted in Mold & Mildew on December, 23, 2013