How To Prevent Mold Before It Is Too Late
Nobody wants mold in their home. The very beginning of a mold infestation is a bland but uncomfortable smell. This smell hangs in the air and anyone that enters your home can smell it. No matter how much cleaning you do, if you don’t address the cause of the mold, then the smell will not come out. Nobody wants to be known for their smelly house.
Once mold takes a hold of your home, it presents even more undesirable effects. Some people are violently allergic to mold and will become sick if they come into your home for more than a few minutes. This violent reaction has led to the term “toxic mold.” Certain types of mold can cause mild to severe allergic reactions in just about anybody, including pets.
But the worst effect mold has on the home is the compromised frame. When mold really sinks its teeth into the home, especially into the wooden frame, the mold can eat the wood. This compromises the wood’s ability to hold the house up and the home might begin to bow. It may be noticed with a slanted kitchen floor, or it can be seen in cracks along the walls.
The best way to deal with mold before you have to call in a professional mold remediation company is to prevent it. Prevention is the best defense in the case.
Mold takes 24 to 48 hours to multiply. That means any surface that remains wet, hot and dark for more than 24 hours can start growing the nasty mold. While it is impossible to keep mold spores out of the home, it is very reasonable to destroy the fertile areas that mold likes to grow in.
Since mold needs moisture, it is a good idea to dry any dampened area of the home. Even water spilled into the carpet can feed mold. But if you have a leak in the basement wall or something like that, then it is a good idea to mend the cause of the leak to stop any more water from coming in.
The use of a dehumidifier can also reduce two different sources of moisture – condensation and humidity. Condensation can be seen on soda cans or on your car in the morning.. This happens in the home as well, albeit on a much smaller scale. A running dehumidifier can take that moisture out of the air and starve the mold.