Top 6 Considerations When A Leaky Basement Is A Problem
If you live in Maryland and the surrounding area, you’re already aware of the wet weather we can endure here throughout the year. Heavy snows, deep freezes, and as much as 41 inches of annual rainfall are all part of our climate, and your home is there to protect you from the elements. But if a leaky basement becomes a problem for you, there are numerous things you’ll have to think about.
At AA Action Waterproofing, we know it can be hard to know where to direct your attention when a leaking basement is an issue – especially if flooding is a problem. So, to make it easier for you, here’s a quick checklist of what you need to think about.
1. Are Your Belongings Safe? – The first thing you need to do is make sure that any belongings you store in the basement are safe. Move them out of the basement until you can ensure that it’s waterproofed completely, otherwise they could suffer from more damage.
2. Is There Foundation Damage? – In some cases, things like chipped off pieces of a basement wall or cracks in the foundation are obviously present. If they are, they’ll need to be repaired as part of the foundation waterproofing.
3. Does Your Lawn Slope Improperly? – The exterior grade of your property could be sending more water towards your home than it should. Things like re-sloping the lawn or installing a French drain may be a solution to consider.
4. Has Your Foundation Ever Been Waterproofed? – If your foundation has never been waterproofed, it needs to be done quickly to prevent further damage.
5. Will Mold Remediation Be Needed? – Mold remediation can be expensive and difficult, but it is also a must if mold growth is present since this can lead to major respiratory health issues and other medical problems.
6. Can You Do It Yourself? – In most cases, the answer to this is a flat no. The process of waterproofing a basement and repairing a foundation is more complex and time consuming than you probably realize, and should be left to the pros.
Obviously, a leaking basement can cause a lot of problems. That’s why we suggest taking the steps to waterproof your basement before you ever notice a leak. That way you avoid stress and hassle – plus, it’s cheaper to waterproof than it is to repair and cleanup after a major leak starts. Either way, we’re ready to help, so contact us at AA Action Waterproofing today to take the first steps towards a dryer basement.