web analytics
best live chat

Mold Proof Your Home

Mold Proof Your HomeMold in the home can cause all sorts of trouble. The mold can cause your family to fall ill, due to allergic reactions. The mold can also get into the wood inside your home’s frame and cause rot. Rotting frames must be replaced at a very high out-of-pocket cost. Mold is no good, but there are certain things that everyone can do in order to mold proof their home.

Most hardware stores sell moisture meters., devices that actually read the amount of humidity in the air. Mold needs moisture to survive, grow and thrive. So if the moisture is kept at a minimum, then you can kill the mold before it starts. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends a humidity of between 30% and 60%. If the humidity is well over 60%, than it may be time to inspect your own home as a mold infestation may have taken hold, even if you’ve yet to see the growth or experience an adverse reaction.

Problem areas in your home will present themselves in moist locations, where mold likes to live. Be on the lookout for condensation, wet spots on the floor, or leaky pipes; these are the proverbial smoking guns of moisture issues around the house. Condensation happens when warm, wet air touches something cool. The moisture comes out of the air and appears as droplets on the surface. Fixing a breezy window can actually contribute in your effort to mold proof your home.

Drying wet areas immediately significantly reduces the amount of mold in your home. If it just rained, you may want to turn the dehumidifier on in the basement. Spilled drinks, especially those on carpet, should be picked up immediately. Drinks that get under the carpet can cause some serious mold spots. You may even be able to smell them; if you notice a certain “mustiness,” that’s a sure sign of mold growth.

The slope of the ground around your house can cause water to come inside. The ground should slope away from your home. If it slopes towards your home then water is flowing slowly underground toward your foundation. The pressure of the ground water can put micro cracks into your basement walls. Water seeps through the cracks and makes for a moist home.

You can bring in a professional squad of mold remediation specialists. These people can test your home for harmful levels of mold. If harmful levels are found, they can professionally remove it. Then you can get to mold protecting your home knowing that it is dry and safe. Take the proper precautions after mold removal to help prevent moisture and mold re-infestation.

This entry was posted in Mold & Mildew on November, 25, 2013