web analytics
best live chat

DIY Mold Remediation Is Possible In Minor Cases

DIY Mold RemediationThere has been a lot of buzz lately about household molds. The media throws around the term “toxic mold” and the term has caught on. It sounds fearful, “toxic mold,” but the fact of the matter is that it is the media’s job to stir up controversy. Most people don’t need an inspection or testing for toxic mold. If you can see it, smell it and even taste it, then you have mold. It is as simple as that. Now, if you or your family is getting sick for no apparent reason, then you should have your house tested for toxic mold.

The problem with noticing mold is that it is incredibly hard to get rid of once it takes a hold of your home. The first step in removing mold from your home is to not touch it; because once you touch it then you cannot discover the cause of the mold. The second step is to do a little detective work and find out how the mold has gotten into the house.

Mold needs moisture and warmth and darkness to flourish. Removing the source of moisture will protect against future infestations of mold. This is important because removing the mold won’t serve your home any good if the mold can just come back.

Once you’ve taken care of the cause, it is time for a little DIY mold remediation. That is the fancy word for mold removal.

The room needs to be made airtight with plastic sheeting for mold removal. An effective mold killer is made out of 1 part bleach and 10 parts water. The water should be distilled or boiled to remove any biological agents.

A breathing mask will help, as will latex gloves. It’s a good idea to get on your hands and knees, scrub the moldy spots, rinse with warm water and then let a dehumidifier do the rest of the work.

A professional grade shop vacuum can remove all the dead spores once the area has been fully dry for an hour. Then you just hope that you removed the cause and it doesn’t return.

If your home’s mold infestation is small and contained, you can do a good amount of removal at home, but to rid your home of a major mold problem, it helps to contact a professional.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on December, 13, 2013