Signs You Could Be Dealing With A Flooded Basement A Few Weeks From Now
- During the early spring, when thawing snow represents a huge, sudden volume of water.
- During the early summer, when rainfall is at its peak and flooding can happen overnight.
Of course, anyone who is positioned on the coast or a river is also at enhanced risk all throughout the year. These homeowners need to be especially vigilant about the signs that presage a flood.
That’s right: There are actual symptoms that you could be aware of right now.
This is true whether you are on the coast or high and dry: And it remains true no matter if you’re in Maryland, Virginia, Washington D.C., Pennsylvania, or New Jersey.
So, what are the signs that could be crucial? Most of them are signs of existing damage to your foundation and basement that may be getting worse over time. Here are some things to look out for:
- Cracks Low On The Basement WallsCracks that are found low on the walls of your basement, particularly walls facing out toward the street or your driveway, could indicate that groundwater is gathering improperly all around your foundation and your basement. Bad drainage in this case can lead to an unexpected flood.
- Warping Of Windows In Low-Lying Areas Of The HomeAll of a sudden, you notice that your windows no longer close as firmly as they once did. The culprit? Damage to your foundation is changing the balance of your walls. Windows are the structural weak point of most rooms and are the first to show effects from this.
- Warping Of Doors In Low-Lying Areas Of The HomeUh-oh: Doors are typically the next to show some signs of problems when foundation issues are getting worse. Naturally, the first door that’s likely to have an issue is the one leading in and out of the basement. Doors could also become prone to sticking or jamming.
- Issues With Wallpaper Anywhere In The HouseWallpaper breakage will tend to be subtle at the lower levels of the home and then get worse in the higher levels. Since wallpaper is decorative rather than structural, it can be a clear indicator of a problem. Of course, other issues can also cause wallpaper damage.
Call or email AA Action Waterproofing today to get help and security for your basement.