10 Warning Signs You May Need Professional Basement Waterproofing
Basement moisture can be a huge problem for your home. Moisture in your basement can damage your possessions, attract mold and pests, and compromise the structural integrity of your foundation. The best way to deal with basement moisture is with professional basement waterproofing. Here are the ten warning signs you may need waterproofing in your basement:
- Musty Smell: If your basement has a musty or damp smell, it’s usually the best way to tell there is a moisture problem. Musty smells are usually most noticeable after rainy or wet weather, so you should always take a quick whiff of your basement after inclement weather.
- Mold Or Mildew: Mold and mildew thrive in wet, damp areas. So if you find the presence of mold or mildew there is excess water feeding it.
- Efflorescence: Efflorescence is often confused for mold. This white, powdery staining is the leftover minerals from dried water. Where there is efflorescence there is a water leak.
- Condensation On Windows: Condensation on your window panes may be a sign of excess moisture build-up in your basement. It is also a sign there may be a leak around your window.
- Sticking Doors: Water warps wood which can cause walls to buckle and bow. It can also cause door frames to warp and crack. Both of these things can make it more difficult to open and close your doors. If your basement doors are sticking, there’s a good chance you need waterproofing.
- Standing Water: Any time there is standing water there is a problem with excess moisture. If you find puddles or flooding on your basement floor, you need to contact a waterproofing expert immediately.
- Water Stains: Even if they are dry, water stains are a sign that your basement has a leak somewhere.
- Leaks: Anytime you find a leak in your basement, you need to call a waterproofing expert. Even small leaks can turn into big moisture problems if they are not repaired right away.
- Cracked Walls Or Floors: Cracked walls or floors are the best entry point for water to get inside your basement. They also may be a sign of a much larger structural problem caused by hydrostatic pressure.
- Bowed Walls: Bowed walls are a major structural issue that can come from too much hydrostatic pressure. If your basement walls are bowing, you need to call an expert right because your home is in serious danger of failing structural integrity.
If you notice any of these ten warning signs in your basement, it’s time to call the experts at AA Action Waterproofing. With nearly 30 years of experience in the Maryland area, we know exactly what can cause basement moisture problems and can offer you custom tailored solutions. So call us today for a free consultation and we’ll make sure to rid your basement of excess moisture for good!