web analytics
best live chat

Why A Wet Basement Is Something To Worry About

Why A Wet Basement Is Something To Worry About If you use your basement as a simple storage space, or you and your family simply don’t spend a whole lot of time in the basement, it can be easy to think of a small leak as “no big deal”. Out of sight and out of mind, you may think that a little water never hurt anyone, and since your basement isn’t really used often anyway, it especially won’t hurt you. At AA Action Waterproofing, we want to debunk this belief by proving just how hazardous a wet basement can be, and how it can affect the rest of your home.

Wet Basements And The Rest Of Your Home

One huge problem that comes out of a wet basement is mold, and a wet basement actually creates the ideal environment mold spores need to thrive. Mold isn’t a substance that will stay in one spot and not affect you when out of sight, which is why a wet basement that isn’t checked on regularly is a problem that requires remedying. Mold can spread rather quickly, and destroy property in the process, but the spores will continue to spread via the air until the mold problem is remediated.

Most mold spores can cause a person to feel as though they have a particularly intense bout of allergies, typically, but they can be downright dangerous to those with asthma or other medical conditions. For more dangerous types of mold, like toxic black mold, breathing or coming into contact with these spores can even make a normally healthy person quite sick, and they may not discover the cause unless they pay attention to their wet basement and the possibility of mold growth.

Wet Basements And Wiring

Wet basements also create another hazardous condition, and this has to do with the wiring in the home. Fuse boxes and electrical wires are often located in the basement of homes, and a wet basement is a basement that may lead these wires to come into contact with water. When water and electrical wiring mix, you’re left with a very dangerous scene, and you could face fast moving electrical fires or electrical damage to your home.

When a basement isn’t used frequently, it can be easy to write it off and forget about it, but this is something that we never recommend at AA Action Waterproofing. A wet basement, even an unused one, can create some pretty dangerous conditions, and it’s always best to stay on top of these conditions to ensure they’re remedied effectively. If you have a wet basement, or a basement prone to leaks, simply call us today to see how you can get it into safe working condition again!

This entry was posted in Basement Waterproofing, Mold Remediation on August, 22, 2015