What To Do When Basement Is Flooded
Maryland homeowners have a lot of issues to pay attention to, and it’s not always easy to spot them. That’s why from time to time, preventative issues simply aren’t applicable. Here at AA Action Waterproofing, we always urge clients to take steps to prevent a basement leak before it occurs – it’s cheaper, easier, and less dangerous to do so. But sometimes things slip our minds. And with the heavy rains that spring brings – plus the thawing of the winter freeze – our homes are often subjected to serious amounts of water. When a basement floods, it’s easy to panic. But you should always remember a few basic steps.
If you’ll keep the following things in mind, you should be able to move past and fix a flooded basement and start taking steps to fix the problem.
- Start by eliminating any dangers – in particular, if there is electricity running to the basement, switch off that circuit breaker to prevent any potential fires or electrocution risks. Once you eliminate the dangers, you can take the next steps.
- Salvage what you can of any belongings that are in the basement and in the water. Not only should you do so to keep them safe, but you’ll want to clean out as much of the basement as possible in order to make room for repairs.
- Now it’s time to identify the source of the leak. Is it a burst pipe, or something else? Often, cracked foundations or inadequately waterproofed basement walls will allow basement flooding to occur. You’ll want to try to spot the areas that water is entering the home in. if you can’t, don’t worry too much since the professionals will help you track down the source of the leak. But identifying the problem early is always helpful.
- Next, call in the professionals to fix the issue. If it’s a basement wall that is leaking, all you need to do is trust in waterproofing experts like our team to get the job done. By applying a waterproofing membrane to the exterior of the basement walls, patching and repairing any cracks, and addressing drainage issues, we’ll be able to stop the water from entering the basement.
- Maintain good waterproofing in the future. While it’s easy to forget, a single basement flood is all it usually takes to understand just how important it really is to keep a home waterproofed properly.
These simple steps can help you avoid panicking and start moving towards a solution to any basement floods.