The 5 Signs That You’re Dealing With Mold
In crawlspaces, dark corners, and cracks especially, mold can be pretty difficult to spot. At AA Action Waterproofing, we know how dangerous the presence of mold can be in the home, and how important it is to remediate it, but the latter can be difficult if you’re not sure where to look or what you’re looking for. We want to outline some of the most common signs that you’re dealing with mold, as this will help you to know when it’s time to call in the professionals for a mold inspection and remediation service.
The 5 signs that you may be dealing with mold in your home are:
- Smell – Mold is a distinct musty odor, and this is often one of the first signs that make a person suspicious of a mold problem. When you walk into your basement and you smell a certain damp and musty odor, it may be time to begin checking for visible signs of mold next.
- Seeing mold – It’s important to remember that seeing a spot of mold rarely means dealing with just a spot of mold, as mold can multiply at surprisingly rapid rates. If you begin to see mold in your home, it’s important to call in the professionals right away to find the source, and if there is more mold hiding elsewhere in the space.
- Runny nose – Mold releases spores into the air, and these spores have effects on our nasal systems. A frequent runny nose with no known cause may be a hidden sign that you’re dealing with unseen mold somewhere in your home.
- Cough – Just like a runny nose, mold spores in the air will also irritate respiratory systems, causing coughing, sore throats, and exasperated asthma. If you’ve suddenly come down with an unexplainable cough, it could be a sign that mold has taken over.
- Moisture – If you touch the walls of your basement and feel that they’re moister than they should be, or even have a slightly slimy feel, this can also be a sign of mold. Excess moisture breeds mold quickly, and a slightly slimy feel may even prove its presence, so it’s time to call in a professional to address the situation as quickly as possible.
There are quite a few signs of mold in the home, but these are the most common for homeowners within the Maryland region. If you have experienced any of these signs, and suspect mold may be taking over in your home, call us at AA Action Waterproofing today to inquire about our mold assessments and remediations so you can keep your home safe and healthy once again!