Black Mold Can Cause Big Problems
Black mold in your basement is a big deal. Nobody wants mold in their home, but black mold is a particularly dangerous variety. Black mold can cause serious health problems. Since mold thrives in moist, dark areas, your dank and dimly-lit basement is a perfect breeding ground. This is especially true if you experience persistent basement wetness, flooding, or other moisture areas. Since humidity is a big factor in mold growth, Maryland basements are particularly susceptible to the stuff.
Even run of the mill mold can be harmful, but black mold takes these harmful effects to an unhealthy extreme. Black mold is a microscopic organism. Its spores are invisible to the naked human eye, but once it grows and spreads to a large enough area you will be able to see it. The problem is, by the time black mold becomes visible it has already been present in your home for quite some time.
Mold is prone to grow in porous materials, like drywall, wood, carpet, and fabrics. Generally speaking, some type of water damage is required for mold to begin to grow, with the affected area remaining wet for more than 48 hours. If you have had a recent leak or flood in your basement, you should be on the lookout for mold. This is especially true if your basement is carpeted. If you suspect you may have black mold in your basement, here are some health symptoms to look out for:
- Red, itchy eyes
- Sore throat
- Runny Nose
- Asthma-like symptoms
Left untreated, these symptoms can be quite dangerous. Likewise, an untreated area will continue to harbor mold. The best way to avoid mold exposure is to prevent mold growth in the first place. This is why proactive basement waterproofing, including proper drainage and dehumidification systems, are so important. However, sometimes mold problems occur despite anyone’s best efforts to prevent them. If you experience a mold outbreak, contact the mold remediation experts at AA Action Waterproofing to help you attack the problem where it lives.