Top 5 Causes Of Leaking Basements
A leaking basement can cause you serious troubles. Not only can it lead to structural damage, but it can cause damage to property you have stored, set up mold and mildew problems, cause respiratory issues, and cost you a small fortune to clean and repair. That’s why here at AA Action Waterproofing we want everyone to understand just how important it is to identify a water problem and correct it quickly.
Before you take the steps to correct the issue, it’s a good idea to understand just what the main causes of leaking basements are. Here in Maryland, certain weather conditions combine with older homes to generate a number of ‘perfect storm’ conditions that could lead to major issues.
While the following 5 causes may be present on their own, when they combine it can lead to even more significant leaks:
1. Cracks Or Damaged Foundations – Any kind of damage to foundations or basement walls is enough to set up potential problems. A tiny crack can fill with water, freeze, swell, and cause larger cracking. Over just a single year, a damaged foundation can suddenly become a very real problem.
2. Poor Property Grading – The way that the exterior of your property is graded and sloped could be funneling rainwater directly into your home’s basement. When that’s the case, the foundation will have to stand up to far more water than it can probably handle. It’s a more common issue than many realize, and one you need to correct.
3. The Spring Thaw – Rainwater is the most obvious source of water entering a leaking basement, but many people don’t realize that the spring thaw is an even bigger problem. When the warm weather of spring hits, it will melt snow and ice and contribute to a large amount of water. Plus, those frozen areas in the basement walls will thaw as well, allowing water to enter quickly.
4. Heavy Rain – Heavy rain is where most people blame their basement problems, primarily because it’s the primary culprit. The summer and spring months can bring plenty of rainfall in Maryland, and knowing that your home is protected is important.
5. Interior Issues – In some instances, things like leaking pipes or poor ventilation in a laundry room can cause high humidity or standing water in a basement. While waterproofing the outside of your home is important, considering any interior issues is a good idea as well.
If you need help with any kind of leaking basement problem, be sure to contact us at AA Action Waterproofing today to get the help you deserve.