Submersible Vs Pedestal Sump Pumps: Pros And Cons
Picking a sump pump for your home is a very important choice, especially considering Maryland weather. The right sump pump can save your basement from severe flooding during thunderstorms, hurricane season, and winter snowmelt. So it is important that you understand the difference between the two types of sump pumps, that way you can make an informed decision. So here is a pros and cons list of submersible and pedestal sump pumps.
Submersible Sump Pump
A submersible sump pump is usually installed in the ground inside an enclosed container in the sump reservoir.
- Hidden underground so that it does not get in the way of any basement furniture, appliances, or other room decor.
- It is extremely quiet and is never heard upstairs when it’s pumping
- Has a large horsepower capacity so it can more effectively pump water
- They are much more expensive to purchase and install
- Repairs and replacement is also much more expensive, typically requiring the basement floor to be torn up
- Small cracks or debris caught in the reservoir can cause submersible sump pumps to break down very easily
Pedestal Sump Pump
A pedestal sump pump is a pump that stands on the basement floor. From the pump there is a hose that runs into the sump reservoir.
- Cost less money to buy and install and uses less energy to run
- They last longer than submersible sump pumps and are much easier and cheaper to repair
- Since they are not in the sump reservoir, they are less likely to become damaged
- They do not pump water as quickly or efficiently as submersible sump pumps
- In the case of severe flooding, they may not be enough to keep your basement from flooding
- Since they sit above the ground, you have to fit them into your basement design
Whether you decide to go with a submersible or a pedestal sump pump depends entirely on your needs. If you still have questions about which system to choose or you have picked the sump pump you want but need someone to install it, look no further than the friendly experts at AA Action Waterproofing. With our years of expertise, we can help ensure you are picking the best sump pump for your basement. So call us today for a free consultation about your sump pump.