Should You Be Mold Testing Your Home?
Whether it’s a smell in the air or a cough you can’t seem to shake, there are many signs that may be telling you that mold is out and about in your beloved Maryland home. However, most of us don’t know what those signs are in the first place.
Don’t worry, we’ll help clear a few things up!
Do You Need Mold Testing If The Mold Is Visibly Seen?
No. If you already know where the mold is then you certainly don’t need to have someone find it unless you suspect there may be more hiding where you cannot see. Otherwise, all you need to worry about now that you know where it is, is to effectively and professional get rid of it.
When Should Mold Testing Be Considered?
1) When mold isn’t visibly present, but the smell of mold is. Here a mold test can reveal whether there is indeed elevated mold and where it is in your home.
2) There have been plumbing leaks or other water issues and there is a suspicion that elevated mold may exist in the air or behind the walls.
3) Post Mold Removal Testing to ensure that your previous mold issues have been resolved.
4) In some cases, a doctor or the patient has a health issue that they are unable to pinpoint the cause, but could easily be related to mold symptoms which includes coughing, sneezing, headaches, and so on. A mold test can easily confirm whether the issues are caused by mold or not.
5) For real estate transactions to ensure that the house is in good shape to be sold or bought.
6) When a landlord or tenant disputes as to whether there may be a mold problem.
7) Someone thinks they may see or smell mold, but is unsure.
Do You Really Need To Hire Someone For Mold Testing?
Though there are plenty of over the counter mold testing kits, these are often ineffective and unreliable. To be honest, the kit itself probably works just fine. However, you are most likely unexperienced in mold and mold removal.
Mold samples are often misleading and can easily be done wrong. In fact, most test kits won’t work unless you’re already able to see or smell the mold in the first place. What’s worse is that even if you have done it right, it’s hard to interrupt the results correctly without experience.
Even if you end up finding mold, you’re unlikely to be able to identify which ones to worry about and which only need very basic clean up. To honest, all homes have a small amount of mold somewhere. Luckily, not all mold is dangerous. However, whether your mold is safe or dangerous is really not something you’re going to be able to recognize.
So when you suspect mold, do yourself a favor and call in AA Action Waterproofing! Our mold testing and remediation is the best way to protect your health and property so you can get back to what’s important.