Why Preventing Basement Leaks Is So Important
Nearly 6 million people live within Maryland’s borders, and whether you’re currently living in a house built last year or one built decades ago, your home will need to be able to stand up to the moisture that the region is known for. Each month, and average of about 4 inches of rainfall occurs here. Heavy snows during the wintertime add to the precipitation totals, and can bombard your home with an assault of water each year.
Here at AA Action Waterproofing, we’ve seen firsthand just how important it is to prevent basement leaks before they start. Those who haven’t taken the time to waterproof their basement should keep some of the following points in mind to help ensure that they don’t have to endure the numerous issues that can arise from a basement leak.
Here are the top reasons preventing basement leaks is absolutely vital for you and your home:
- Leaks often start small, and it can take weeks or even months before you realize that they exist – especially in the basement, where you likely don’t go too often. As a result, basement leaks can quickly grow and do a substantial amount of damage before you know that there is a problem.
- Even a small amount of moisture finding its way into your basement can lead to mold growth, which in turn can lead to respiratory issues, allergy related problems, and expensive mold remediation services. By waterproofing a basement ahead of time, you avoid these issues and save yourself money as well.
- Leaks can cause structural damage to a home that can cost a considerable sum to repair. As a result, it’s important that you prevent that damage from occurring before it happens. Waterproofing is a big step in keeping your home safe.
- Due to the winter freeze in Maryland, a leak can actually lead to more leaks. That’s because as the water fills cracks in your foundation, it will freeze and expand. When it does, the size of the cracks can grow and others can form. This can lead to major repairs and even more substantial flooding.
- Simply put, by taking the time to waterproof a basement and prevent leaks from occurring you’ll be avoiding more expensive repairs and potential health issues. Contact us today to get started on your waterproofing project.