Five Crawl Space Waterproofing Solutions
We often overlook our crawl spaces. Since they are not useable space, we never really think about them. However, crawl spaces are crucial to the structural integrity and safety of your home. They are also very important to your home’s air quality and your family’s health and wellbeing. One of the biggest issues in crawl spaces is the presence of moisture. Excess moisture in your crawl space can lead to mold issues, structural damage, and pests. So it is important that you consider waterproofing your crawl space. Here are five reliable waterproofing solution you can implement in your crawlspace:
- Sump Pump: Sump pumps are not just for basements. Sump pumps prevent flooding by pumping any excess water out of your crawl space. Sump pumps are the most efficient way to prevent flooding in your crawl space.
- Encapsulation: Encapsulation is a pretty complex process but it will not only protect your house from moisture, but mold and radon as well. Crawl space encapsulation starts by covering the ground with a thick vapor barrier that blocks any moisture or toxins. Then the walls are covered with a reflective insulation and all the seams are fully sealed. No moisture, toxins, or air can get through an encapsulation system.
- Vapor Barriers: Vapor barriers are thick plastic sheets that cover the walls and the floors of the crawl space. These sheets block any moisture from entering the crawl space. Vapor barriers also block mold and pests.
- Perimeter Drains: Perimeter drains are probably the most effective waterproofing solution for crawl spaces. Perimeter drains are trenches dug along the crawl space walls that drain into a drain pipe and sump pump pit.
- Dehumidifier: Installing a dehumidifier in your crawl space with reduce the moisture. Also since an estimated 65% of all the air in our homes cycles through the crawl space, this is a great way to ensure that you have good quality air in your home.
If your crawl space has not been waterproofed, you should consider one or more of these options. All of these solutions can protect your home from moisture build up in your crawl space. So if you are ready to waterproof your crawl space and want to find out what the best option for your home is, call the experts at AA Action Waterproofing today. Our friendly staff can answer any questions you have about your waterproofing needs and can help you develop a comprehensive strategy to protect the structural integrity and health of your home. So call us today for a free consultation!