Five Causes of Attic Mold Growth
Basements aren’t the only area of the house that can accumulate mold. In fact, mold can be hidden anywhere in your home, including your attic. Like the mold in your basement, attic mold can cause serious health issues for you and your family. So you need to check your attic for mold growth as well. Mold growth is in attics can be caused by a variety of issues. Here are the five common causes of attic mold growth:
- Water Leaks: Just like in basements, a water leak can quickly lead to the growth of mold. Damage to your roof or your shingles can cause a serious leak. Roof leaks are a serious issue in Maryland where we get an average of 41 inches of precipitation. That much rain can quickly feed a mold growth.
- Malfunctioning Gutters: If your gutters are clogged or broken, they can lead to standing water on the roof of your home, causing leaks and water damage. This can be especially damaging in the winter when water can freeze and slowly melt and erode your roof. With all of this moisture entering your attic, mold will flourish.
- Wrong Insulation: If your insulation is installed improperly or you use the wrong kind of insulation in your attic, it can trap water from the humidity in your home and outside. Mold can flourish in areas where insulation is improperly installed.
- Poor Ventilation: Attics need ventilation to reduce the buildup of moisture. In the summer, warm air carrying moisture can condense in the attic. While in the winter, the heat from your home will carry moisture and cause condensation once it hits the cold walls and roof. A poorly ventilated attic is an ideal climate for mold growth.
- Appliance Ventilation: Sometimes appliances are improperly installed and can lead to venting in the attic. Stoves, dryers, and even plumbing vents can pump warm air into the attic. With warm air, comes condensation and moisture, and with moisture comes mold growth.
So if your home has a musty smell or if you have noticed any water stains on your ceiling, you need to have your attic checked for mold. Mold does not just grow in basements and bathrooms, but it can easily grow in your attic if any of these five issues are present. If you have mold in your attic or suspect you have mold in your attic, you will need an inspection and mold remediation by a certified professional. Our qualified experts at AA Action Waterproofing can check your attic and any other area of your home for mold. They can also help put together a comprehensive strategy to get rid of the mold at the source. So call us today for a free consultation and we can help you with your attic mold problem.